Did You Know?
DID YOU KNOW ……..?
Hours and contact information
About the library
- In 1901, Superintendent Charles Constantine set up Fort Saskatchewan’s first lending library in the North West Mounted Police barracks.
- The new expanded library was opened in November 2013. This expansion helps us provide better library services by having more space for larger collections, more public access computers, and larger study areas and comfortable reading areas for library users of all ages. In February 2016, the library opened the Makerspace.
- Library Board members are selected and appointed by City Council even though the Library Board is independent of Council. Board members are appointed for terms of up to three years and each may be reappointed for two additional consecutive terms. For more information on the board http://www.fspl.ca/about-fspl/library-board
- The Fort Saskatchewan Public Library is a non-profit corporation.
- We are partnered with and connected to Strathcona County Library (SCL) so you can use your FSPL library card at either library. Both collections are in the computerized catalogue so you can place holds on Strathcona items, and pick them up in Fort Saskatchewan. You can return your books to either library.
Amenities and Services
- Free coffee!
- Free wifi
- Interactive and educational computers for children
- Laminating services (fees apply)
- Printing, photocopying and scanning. For a letter-sized page, there is a charge of 20 cents for single sided and 30 cents for double sided, black and white printing.
- ACER laptop and iPads for in-library use
- Study rooms
- Makerspace services
- Exam proctoring services are offered free of charge. Please give at least 2 weeks notice before the exam date and confirm staff availability before scheduling an exam with an institution. Please contact 780-998-4275 or email@example.com for more information and to book an exam.
- All of our programs are offered free of charge!
- For details on programs, check out our Event Calendar
- We have programs for all ages!
- Check out our newsletter!
- Library cards are FREE for residents and non-residents
- You can check out books, DVDs, Blu-rays, magazines, audiobooks, language kits
- We also have a wealth of online resources! Hoopla, TumbleBook Library, Muzzy, Sesame Street eBooks, OverDrive, Freading, Consumer Reports, OnePlay, Zinio, Press Reader, Ancestry, Mango Language, NoveList, World Book Encyclopedia, Family Behavior Toolbox, and more online research tools!
- ME Card: By registering your card online at https://melibraries.ca/, you can use your local library card at public libraries across Alberta! (Only for physical items, not online resources). The service is free with your library membership
- TAL card: The Alberta Library Card is another way to access libraries across Alberta. With TAL, you can get materials from public, government, and academic libraries, like the University of Alberta. The card is free with your library membership. Sign up for a card in person at the library
- We are partnered with and connected to Strathcona County Library (SCL) so you can use your FSPL library card there? Both collections are in the computerized catalogue so you can place holds on Strathcona items, and pick them up in Fort Saskatchewan. You can return your books to either library.
- What to do if we don’t have the book you’re looking for? Suggest for us to buy it! Or get it through an interlibrary loan. And interlibrary loan is where we borrow a book from another library. You can talk to a staff member or request an item yourself through TAL Online
- If you lose or misplace your card, contact us immediately so that we can put a block on it so no one may take out materials under your account. We will issue a new card to you.
- We have popular books and movies in a special "express" collection. These are only available for 1 week, cannot have holds, and cannot be renewed. Most other material is available for 3 weeks and can be renewed up to 2 times.
- Returning materials: Late charges apply to materials returned after their due date. There is an after-hours return chute on the North side of the building.
- Card Limits:
- Total: 100 items at a time
- eBooks from OverDrive: 10 at a time
- CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays: 10
- Magazines: 10
- Audiobooks: 10
- Language kits: 10
- hoopla: 5/month
- Freading: 6/week
- Late fees:
- Children's Material: $0.15/day
- Adult Materials: $0.30/day
- Audiobooks/CDs/DVDs/Blu-rays/DAISY books: $0.40/day
- Bestseller/AV Express $1.00/day
- Looking for something in our library? Search in our online catalogue!
- By creating an online account you can keep track of the items you have checked out and their due date.
- You can also put holds on items, renew items, create lists, and more!
- DAISY (Digital Audio-Based Information System) Readers and books are available for loan to blind and print disabled patrons?
- NNELS (National Network for Equitable Library Service) and CELA (Centre for Equitable Library Access): NNELS and CELA both provide a range of materials in accessible formats for readers with print disabilities. They work with public libraries across Canada to make books available to everyone in a variety of formats including braille and electronic text. Ask a staff member for more information.
- Adaptive Technology Station for the visually/physically challenged: Thank to DOW for a gran that made this station possible. The station in the library includes a motorized elevating table, document camera, large print keyboard, ZoomText screen magnifying software, and more!
- We are grateful to our community for donating books and other materials to the library for our collection and our book sales. Because of storage restrictions we are only able to accept one small grocery-sized bag of materials at a time.
- We are happy to accept: Gently used books; CDs, DVDs, and audiobooks in their original packaging; comic books in good condition.
- We do not accept: material in poor condition (yellowed, mouldy, torn, water damaged, or smelly), encyclop edias, textbooks, magazines, cassettes, VHS, vinyl records, or computer software.